Wednesday, January 2, 2008

False Assurances of Salvation

Examine the following assumptions.

I'm assured of salvation because:

"I believe there is a God."
"I'm basically a good person."
"I attend church and pray often."
"I was baptized or confirmed."
"I once prayed a prayer and asked God into my heart."

Explore with your group members each of the "bogus tickets" people rely on to gain entrance into heaven.


1 "I believe there is a God."

How can a person believe in God and yet not have salvation*

At first, it may seem like a big step to acknowledge God's existence, especially when so many atheists do just the opposite. Some people struggle with believing in him, and so when they come to the end of the search, they assume they've "arrived" by saying, "I now believe there is a God." Yet this statement could be made by the devil! We can see this conclusion doesn't really bring us very far toward God at all.
The problem is our sin. Mere mental assent to the existence of God cannot wash away our guilt before him. It would be like acknowledging that we now believe the police officer who pulled us over for speeding really exists-but who pays the fine?
For further study: Psalm 14:1; James 2:19.


2 "I'm basically a good person."

Why is trusting in our own goodness a false basis for being included in God's
kingdom?

This person assumes that because he has kept out of trouble, God has no quarrel with him. How could a fair God exclude from his presence a person with no major blemishes and many acts of charity ? But the person who relies on his or her goodness is overestimating personal righteousness and is underestimating God's holiness.
For further study: Matthew 5:48; Romans 3:23; Psalm 50:21.


3 "I attend church and pray often."

Why doesn't being religious give enough assurance of salvation?

This person assumes participation in spiritual activities means he's included in God's kingdom. This answer has again reduced salvation to something we do. And if salvation is something you earn, you never know how much is enough.
What if I'm short one good deed? What if I sinned one time too many? If the standard is perfection, we all fall short.


4 "I was baptized or confirmed."

Why could a person have been baptized yet not have assurance of salvation?

This person has a little better understanding because he knows the need for something to "initiate" his relationship with God. But nowhere in the Bible does it suggest that water baptism without faith confers salvation. No matter when or how a person is baptized, faith or personal trust Is essential. Even a confirmation ceremony may have been done because of parental or peer pressure without the reality behind it being present in the confirmand. As an example, a wedding band symbolizes marriage, but possessing a ring does not make one married. Something deeper is needed.


5 "I once prayed a prayer and asked God into my heart."

I low could a person invite God into his or her heart and still not have a
relationship with God?

This statement may be the closest to the truth among this list of false assurances of salvation. This person knows one has to be born again. But something is still missing. Just because you prayed once or someone told you that you were a Christian doesn't mean you are. Christians are people who have been born again and have been forgiven and transformed-not just people who know they should be or who want to be. Muttering some kind of prayer many years ago doesn't
mean you meant it. Jesus said people can have various responses to the gospel, but only if there is fruit has the real thing taken root.
For further study: Mark 4:1-20.

No comments: